Reunionistas are heading back to their real worlds this morning as changed people for having reconnected with former colleagues.
Comments from folks in the midst of all the activities surrounding the weekend of Sept. 12, 13 and 14 ranged from: “powerful” “extraordinary” and “magical”.
If you have photos you would like to have included in an iPhoto book for Tom and Ruth, please send to: email@example.com We want to make sure the book is representative of everyone, so send them by the end of this week (9/19).
Thanks from all of us for coming!
1. Is the Harkin Staff Reunion the same weekend as the Steak Fry? Yes. The reunion is Saturday, Sept. 13 and the Steak Fry is Sunday, Sept. 14.
2. Is there a cost for the reunion? Yes, now that the early registration deadline has passed, the cost is $45 (includes food, T-shirt etc.) Register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harkin-staff-reunion-registration-11813499495
If you are registered but haven’t bought your ticket, you can purchase it at the box office on Saturday.
3. Is there a hotel room block: Yes, check out these options: https://harkinstaffreunionblog.wordpress.com/hotel-recommendation/
4. How is word getting out to my former Harkinistas? This event is not affiliated with the Harkin Senate staff. We’re all volunteers, getting the word out by word-of-mouth.
5. Who can come to the reunion? Only paid staff, former and current. This event is the only one strictly limited to staff. Family and close friends (will all meet up after the reunion at the Raccoon River Brewery adjacent to the Hotel Fort Des Moines.
6. Who will be headlining the Steak Fry this year? Hillary AND Bill Clinton.
7. Where do I buy Steak Fry tickets? www.tomharkin.com
8. What is the Harkin Institute?! Find out on Saturday from 1-3 p.m. by visiting the folks associated with the Harkin Institute for Social Engagement on the campus of Drake University. The location: Look for the white canopy on the Sundial Sculpture Plaza at Drake University on Carpenter Avenue between 25th and 26th, in Des Moines. In the event of rain, meet in Levitt Hall on the second floor of the Drake University Old Main Building, 2507 University Avenue. Parking is available in the Drake lots at 25th and Carpenter and on University across from Old Main. Those who are registered for the reunion will be receiving an email with more details from the director, Marsha Ternus.
Weather forecast calls for temperatures in the 50-60 range. Casual dress at the ball park, and bring a jacket.
Iowans (et al) will be ready for Hillary and Bill Clinton to honor the legacy and service of Senator Thomas Richard Harkin at his last Steak Fry to be held from 1-4 p.m. at the Indianola Balloon Field Sunday, Sept. 14.
Get your tickets:
Tickets for the 37th Annual Harkin Steak Fry are now on sale!
An announcement letter went out yesterday shrouded in some mystery as to who the notable guests will be, but it stated…. the featured speakers at this year’s Steak Fry will meet the highest standard we’ve established through the years. You won’t want to miss it.
And, we former Harkin staffers will definitely want to be there for this last hurrah.
For ticket purchase information:
We are now less than one month from a most unique event – the gathering of about 200 former and current members of Tom Harkin’s staff as he enters the final innings of a 40-year career in public office.
How fitting to do so at a baseball park in Iowa.
And how fitting to salute Tom Harkin as he ends his career at the top of his game.
Registrations are still being accepted. Cost is $45.
Click to register (then buy your ticket through the Iowa Cubs box office) https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harkin-staff-reunion-registration-11813499495
Colleagues, a friendly reminder that the early registration date for the Harkin Staff Reunion is Aug. 15. Tickets will be $35 until then. Procrastinators pay $45. We will be ordering T-shirts etc. based on the number of attendees so help us out and register if you want to come.
This is an unofficial event planned by a volunteer committee of former Harkin staffers.
Please register for the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harkin-staff-reunion-registration-11813499495
ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED the eventbrite submission you are eligible to get your ticket: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 515-243-6111 to purchase. Snail mail: send $35 prior to Aug. 15 ($45 after that date) to Kenny Houser, One Line Drive, Des Moines, Ia. 50309.